All you need is love!
All you need is love, love!
All you need is love.
- All You Need is Love, The Beatles
As usual, I am late in writing my new year's reflections cum resolutions.
I know, they're awfully over-rated, and I don't really keep my resolutions past February anyway, but I insist that the act of writing is wonderfully therapeutic! :D If only my enthusiasm for renewal extends to spring-cleaning.
So, what have I been doing this:
1) Spend the first half of the year in school, writing my thesis and in general feeling completely wretched most of the time due to stress, self-doubt and way-over-my-head syndrome.
2) My love life was more or less pulverized (not an exaggeration darlings), and it messed up most other aspects of my life. And it really shouldn't have.
3) I went back to Europe for a month, and love every single second of it - except maybe the moments I spend being grumpy and hungry due to lack of affordable food in Paris. It is no fun being student-poor and having to count your pennies in the most glamourous city in the world.
I saw my European friends again, and they did me a world of good by reminding me of what I really want before all that job talk burnt me out. But money is still really good anyway.
4) I found a real job - one that actually pays me non-peanuts. I love the financial independence but hate the adult responsibilities and cynicism which comes (super-glued together) with adulthood.
5) I'd managed to piece together, awkwardly, the pieces of my relationship (which I'd taken for granted and relied upon for way too long). It gets better, but progress is slow and I'm an impatient person. I still get angsty, resentful and can be an all round vindictive bitch from hell, but ugly episodes like this are becoming less frequent. I figure to take a day at a time.
Besides, I'm 23. The world is for the taking! :D Haha.
6) Writing on Fashion Nation has been more rewarding that I had originally thought. The past year has been a really good one for the FN girls, and we're really excited about new ideas and projects that we may like to introduce in 2008.
Much more than the occasional material perk, the best thing about writing has been the sense of moving forward, to take up something and see it advance. I know it is all terribly kitsch, but it is our baby, and we do work hard at it :) So I guess we deserves a pat on the back from ourselves once in a while.
[Edit: I actually wrote this out on the 2nd of Jan, but only just published it.]
This year, I hope to be more patient, healthier, diligent, wiser, kinder, and of course happier.
And we shall never speak of 2007 again.
Hopefully, the Beatles are right, and all we really need is love :)
P.S. I think I am most probably moving this blog somewhere else really soon. It's been a fabulous run here, but all good things must come to an end. Somehow I feel rather emotional about closing this down. I guess it warrants an entire post for itself.